AFS her yaştan ve geçmişten öğrencilerin, gençlerin, yetişkinlerin, gönüllülerin, ailelerin, okulları ve diğerlerinin dahil olduğu küresel vatandaşları hazırlar ve harekete geçirir.
We do this through our immersive international study abroad, volunteer, host family and other opportunities, all of which are supported by facilitated intercultural education programs.
AFS encourages people to think critically, question assumptions and be flexible. Our experiences build confidence, broaden perspectives, and develop practical skills required to communicate and collaborate with people from different cultures—in home communities and across the globe.
Living, working, studying and volunteering abroad with AFS also helps young people learn how to solve problems, make decisions and work effectively in diverse teams and groups.
As a result of our structured real-life learning experiences, AFSers appreciate, value and respect cultural and other differences—and believe our world is stronger and more interesting because of them.
No wonder you don’t have to go far to find an AFSer making a difference in local communities, across industries or at the forefront of an important international issue or social cause. AFSers are everywhere. AFSers are global citizens.
These 21st century global abilities are highly valued by educators, employers, humanitarians and communities. Being confident and comfortable with people from different backgrounds and worldviews opens up the world to many new, different and exciting opportunities.
The AFS Global Citizenship Education Agenda
AFS focuses on six main areas to support the global citizenship education movement:
- AFS helps the world learn to live together. We are committed to fostering intercultural exchanges, learning and understanding as a powerful and productive way to build a more just and peaceful world.
- AFSers embrace differences and believe our world is stronger because of them. AFS stresses the importance of diversity and inclusiveness in our policies, programs, organizations and public outreach efforts.
- AFS is committed to expanding the role of young people in leadership and the decision-making processes of AFS and society at large. We share our findings and recommendations to help organizations and communities better leverage the potential of their young volunteers and leaders.
- AFS advocates—along with educators, policy makers and others—to integrate intercultural learning and global citizenship education into national agendas and public school curriculums.
- AFS works closely and creatively with schools, universities, humanitarian and peace groups, governments and other NGOs on the issues that reflect our mission and support global citizenship education.
- AFS proactively supports the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and believes they provide a roadmap to help make our world a better place for all people.